Sunday, April 14, 2013

Facebook Quitter

So, here's the deal. I am quitting Facebook. We are breaking up. I have decided to move on. I wanted to share with everyone why. But, it may be controversial. You may feel judged for staying with Facebook. Don't. Our relationship is just not working. I am giving much more than i am getting. I sent Facebook a breakup letter today and it went like this...

Dear Facebook,

You gave me a good, strong 5 year run. You were a great friend to me. You brought me good news and sad news. You listened to me complain and even accepted my political opinions. You prayed for me and others. You reconnected me to friends i hadn't heard from in years and some I didn't want to. We stalked some people and loved the juicy results. We poured over photos looking for imperfections and got lost in the grainy details. You were my constant source of entertainment in the most inappropriate times. We have chatted during funerals, cracked up during church services, gossiped during work trainings. We have passively, aggressively jabbed our enemies and cheered on the victors. You stood by me and consoled me when i lost family members and friends. You have been a constant in my life for five years. But now, you are a constant annoyance.

Now, you are that friend that keeps calling even after i have sent you a text to let you know i am busy. You are that person at work that just won't shut up. You are that annoying stalker boyfriend that keeps asking for a status update. You are that person that sucks all of the most creative, intelligent people out of the room by your ranting about unimportant details. You are the person showing slides of your trip to Africa for an hour with no bathroom break. I don't blame you, its my fault too.

I showed you my pictures, told my stories, bored you with mundane details that sucked up precious moments of your life, too. I checked in with you like a stalker, looking to see who wanted to be my friend. I waited for your notifications and was as thrilled as a 16 year old waiting for a boy to call when i saw you left me some. I made you listen as i bragged about my family and showed off the great moments of our lives. I made you cheer for me, encourage me and even like me, when i knew you didnt want to. It's not you, it's me.

You see, I got these 5 incredible kids and a pretty great husband. I got a good job and real live friends. I have this really cool life i know God gave me and you are a distraction. You have made me miss moments that i cant get back....at the park, at home, at church, during work. These really great moments that won't come again. Because while i am busy updating you, showing you photos or becoming embroiled in a facebook battle, i am focusing on pretend things/people/conversations.

Today this stops. We can be friends. I will check in on you every once in awhile...but, I won't stay. I am going to invest my time into other things like people and interactions. I don't want you to go away mad I just want you to go away. You will find someone new, you always do. I want you to. I hope you bring them as much joy as you brought me. I hope you laugh, cry and whine together. Post some pictures, tell your truths. Know that i will be cheering you on from a different path. You have changed my life for the better but all good things must come to an end. You were an important part of my life that I don't need anymore.

Farewell Facebook!
Love, Katie

Don't get me wrong. This is best for me. Those that still are friends with Facebook, i got nothing but love for you. If you want to stay connected, visit my blog. I will keep that updated weekly and even post some pictures. Quitting Facebook will be tough. It will be a neverending journey of 12 steps and more. I may relapse but I am hoping to stay strong. Wish me luck fellow facebookers!

No comments:

Post a Comment