Monday, September 26, 2011

Sick and Twisted Social Media

Let the wild rumpus start...
This weekend we hung out with our 2 oldest and their friends. I was seriously worried after we had some straight forward discussions on movies and music that they partake in. A 7 th grader informed us that he has watched all of the saw movies. Now, I am one of those crazy horror movie fans but, really?! That movie is not suitable for me let alone a kid! Another girl talked about her undying love and admiration for lady Gaga and nicks minaj. I looked up some of their music and was shocked by the lyrics.

The thing that kills me is that for our little girls we are setting up an environment to desensitize us to a society filled with men who believe women only want one thing. But, the thing is I want my daughter to be looked at and treated more powerfully than that. I want men and women alike to respect her. I want her to be able to hold her own in a room of all ages without judgement. I want her to always think of others before herself. I want her to have role models that don't feel the need to dress up in bologna to make a point. Or to wear trashy clothes to prove she's not just an object.

The other thing that bothers me is our future men that will become fathers and husbands. I want my son to look up to women and value them in a way that he does not value his friends. I want him to be able to walk down the street without getting turned on by every girl who dresses in sexy clothing way too old for her age. I want him to look up to men who are creative and kind not sadistic and twisted. I want my son to find entertainment in good things not violence and anger.

The conversations this weekend made me conclude 2 things. One, i will continue to make relationships with all of my children's friends. This way I can know who is influencing them when I am not there. Two, I have to stick to my guns even if the world isn't. All the while trying to make my kids have an active role in the decision making process. So, hopefully one day, whether I am there or not, they will make the right decision for the right reason. Then and only then will I know I have succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment